1Use a dust mask or other respiratory protection. Mold will often grow in areas with little ventilation. It can be harmful to breathe in concentrated amounts of spores, so invest in a quality mask.
2Research your chemicals thoroughly. Mold can be treated with anything from soap and water to bleach. You may need to try multiple solutions before you find one that removes your mold, and some of these chemicals can create poisonous gasses when combined, even in the smallest amount.
3Replace any contaminated porous surfaces. Carpet, drywall and even furniture can be impossible to fully rid of mold. Spores can settle deep into these materials and continue to grow. Be prepared to remove these items and replace them.
4Don’t forget to check your HVAC system. Because it moves air through your home, mold spores can gather and grow within your vents. You’ll need to clean inside these small spaces and make sure that filters and crevices are completely clean. Removing mold from these tight spaces can require special equipment or supplies.
5The most effective thing you can do is rid your home of dampness and moisture. This may be something as simple as a leaky pipe or condensation, but it might stem from foundation issues or faulty appliances. A dehumidifier may pull some moisture out of the air, but it can’t compete with a water leak.