SEA’s indoor air quality site assessments include:
It is well known that mold is the cause of numerous respiratory and allergy related health issues. Children and infants are especially susceptible to these effects, and it is important for a house to be completely mold-free for a family to be healthy. Unfortunately, mold can and will grow anywhere: The microscopic spores are impossible to completely filter out of the air, and they can grow with only a small amount of moisture.Read More
The presence of mold in a house or apartment is almost a certainty if the right conditions exist. The spores and the proteins and other elements in mold often cause negative reactions in respiratory systems in humans and their pets. Some forms of mold actually produce micotoxins that can cause illness, even death. Thus it is very important to identify if contamination exists in a residence, and if it is, how to get rid of mold.Read More
Love isn’t the only thing that grows as Valentine’s Day approaches. Enclosed spaces and damp environments contribute to mold growth. February’s fickle weather often means excess moisture in your home. You bring some of it in on your damp shoes and clothing; when you hang these items up to dry, dampness evaporates from them, but it doesn’t disappear. Your heated house allows moisture to condense on windows and within exterior walls, and where there’s moisture, there’s mold.Read More
Suspicion of hidden mold
You may suspect hidden mold if a building smells moldy, but you cannot see the source, or if you know there has been water damage and residents are reporting health problems. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation).
Assess your situation
The cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft.by 3 ft.patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself by following the guidelines below.
It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors. Some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust.
Molds come in many colors; both white and black molds. Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds do have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
Molds are part of the natural environment.Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees,but indoors,mold growth should be avoided.Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.There are many types of mold,and none of them will grow without water or moisture.Read More
A healthy indoor environment is important to you and your family.
Biological contaminants include bacteria, molds, mildew, viruses, dust mites, pollen, spores, animal dander, cat saliva and cock roach dander.
By controlling the relative humidity level in a building, the growth of some sources of biologicals can be minimized. Relative humidity is the amount of moisture in the air at a given temperature.
Enter your name and email to subscribe our regAlert newsletter